Monday 23 July 2007

Digital Image Management - and the winner is.......digiKam

Nothing so far meets all my requirements. Picasa is a shade too slow and unwieldy running under WINE (admirable though it is to work at all!). F-Photo is even slower handling my RAW Nikon NEF files.

After lots of searching around I have settled on using digiKam, though it is touted as being for KDE, it seems to run fine under Gnome. There are a few niggles, including the viewer not rotating portrait orientation images when you zoom in and the built in image editor is a little quirky in comparison to Picasa (though it is more powerful). For any proper image editing I will fall back on using GIMP.

The package has a built in LightTable that I am still trying to understand and has the facility for exporting to jpg and uploading to Flickr (via jUploadr). It allows the images to be organised as they are found on disk - for me this means YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD-place-or-event, includes tagging, but seemingly doesnt allow images to be stacked.

Some of the above may be due to my lack of understanding as I am still on the beginning of the learning curve - it has quite a wealth of features.

Other required functions I will either script or knock something together using MonoDevelop - a good excuse to get up to speed on c# and the GTK# toolkit.

If you feel like installing it, follow instructions at http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/binary/

Note: To get the "Archive to CD" function working, I needed to "sudo apt-get k3b" - A CD/DVD burning packing (although I could possibly have changed the default burning application)

No comments: